- The project addresses the challenges associated with the client’s initial foray into Industry 4.0 and their use of Industrial IoT, cloud, and other modern technologies to provide real-time access to manufacturing data and visualizations.
- One of the plants tried to implement an IoT solution that could collect machine data. However, it witnessed significant challenges while scaling. The on-premises solution became a risk and had to be moved to the cloud.
- The design of this initial solution contains several key components:
- Data normalization at the edge, ingestion, visualization, and long-term storage.
- The client has expressed interest in managing devices from the cloud and using advanced capabilities such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- To accomplish the objectives of this project, several AWS services were used: IoT Core, Kinesis, S3, Athena, and AWS Managed Grafana
- To provide governance and logging, additional services like Config, CloudWatch, and IAM (Identity & Access Management) will be employed.
Tools & Technologies
Amazon S3, Amazon Kinesis, AWS IoT, Grafana, Amazon Athena, Cloudwatch
- The benefits of this solution will provide the C-Level with insights into the machine, department, and plant-level OEE.
- The plant performance can be viewed in near real-time from corporate headquarters which will provide the client with a Global OEE metric.